Do natural remedies for hot flashes exist?
Hot flashes are most common among the women going through the menopausal phase. It is a sudden feeling of heat that flashes through body accompanied by red face and sweating. There are chances that one may get hot flashes slowly as they can be felt sometimes.
The other symptoms associated with hot flashes are:
- Increased heartbeat
- Tingling in fingers
- Body temperature rises suddenly
- Redness of face
- Excessive sweating
Hot flashes may last from a few seconds to 10 minutes. On average hot flash may last about four minutes for an individual. The frequency of getting hot flashes varies for women. Some women get hot flashes per week while others may experience many in an hour. The frequency varies according to the level of perimenopause. Now the question is what causes hot flashes?
What causes hot flashes?
There are various studies that were performed to know the root cause of hot flashes, but nothing shows what causes the hot flashes. It’s obvious that hormonal changes cause the hot flashes and certain diseases such as diabetes, obesity and other metabolic syndromes increase the happening of hot flashes. It’s not mandatory that every woman going through menopause have this but few get hot flashes. There are many factors that increase the risk of getting hot flashes such as:
- Smoking: women who smoke usually get more hot flashes then the non-smoker women.
- Ethnicity: ethnicity is another important factor as Asian woman get less hot flashes then the European and American women.
- Obesity: Obesity and high BMI levels are associated with more prevalence of hot flashes. Thin women usually don’t get extensive flashes.
- Alcohol: alcohol consumption is one the trigger of hot flashes.
- Spicy foods: spicy foods provide us with flavours, we love spices but women who take more spicy foods are more prone to hot flashes.
- Stress: stress causes hormonal imbalance which is the cause of hot flashes.
- Tight clothes: wearing tight clothes may interfere with blood circulation and may cause hot flashes. So, tight clothes should be avoided.
Natural remedies to treat hot flashes
To treat menopause symptoms, there are many natural remedies which can be used to get rid of symptoms. These are as follows:
- Black cohosh
This herb provides an effective solution for hot flashes. It was thought that this herb act like estrogen but modern research proves that concept. It is safe and doesn’t produce any side effects. This works by reducing the effect on hormone-sensitive tissue such as uterus breast etc. which helps in preventing hot flashes.
- Red clover
Red clover leaf extract reduces the hot flashes. When used with black cohosh, it produced very good results. It is one of the famous herb used for treating hot flashes.
- Dong Quai
This herb has been used in Traditional Chinese medicine for more than 12000 years for gynaecological issues. It is safe for hot flashes but women suffering from haemophilia, fibroids etc. should not use this as this may cause complications.
According to studies, ginseng is very helpful in providing relief from menopausal symptoms. It improves sleep issues, mood swings and overall health. Its one of the amazing herb that is used to treat various health issues.
- Flaxseed oil
Flaxseeds contain lots of good fatty acids which are effective in reducing menopausal symptoms, especially hot flashes. These contain plant lignans which are similar to estrogen, balances the estrogen levels in menopausal women.
- Evening primrose oil
For women, reproductive health primrose oil is the best general tonic and is effective for hot flashes. It has cooling effects on skin and regulates the estrogen production. It also helps in sleep because it is enriched in gamma-linolenic acid. It also activates the prostaglandins which are important for body functioning.
- Chickweed tincture
Daily intake of this herb is effective in reducing the severity and number of hot flashes. Women who are suffering from a large number of hot flashes should take this herb to normalize their symptoms of menopause.
- Homoeopathic treatment
Homoeopathic medicines are really effective for treating hot flashes as these medicines are made of a variety of plant extracts and natural ingredients. Homoeopathic medicines have almost no side effects as compared to allopathic medicines. So, homoeopathic remedies are also included in natural remedies for hot flashes. Belladonna, Sanguinarina, Kali Phosphoricum and Ferrum phosphoricum are known as the homoeopathic medicine to treat hot flashes.
- Sage tea
Sage tea is really effective therapy for hot flashes. It can be easily found at a grocery shop. It provides instant relief from hot flashes. It is also effective for a headache, digestion and diarrhoea.
- Other common herbs
Other then above-mentioned herbs, there are some other plant species that are helpful in treating hot flashes. Spearmint, liquorice root, sarsaparilla, chaste berry, wild yams, red raspberry leaf are such plant species that treats the hot flashes. Vitamin C, E, and soy effectively reduce the hot flashes. It is highly recommended to take multivitamins to get rid of hot flashes.
All herbs mentioned are included in the natural remedies for hot flashes are safe to use. They have no side effects, but women should discuss with some expert to take them because they may not have side effects but there are safe dose values for each herb. So to avoid toxicity try to know about each herb before use.
Some useful tips to avoid hot flashes
To avoid hot flashes following lifestyle changes are effective help to ease the symptoms.
- Avoid synthetic material for bedding and clothing. Use cotton or natural material to allow body normal perspiration.
- Avoid sun baths and hot tubs. Try to remain cool and hydrated.
- Exercise regularly because it helps to maintain body shape and makes us healthy. With exercise our hormones get balanced and we can get rid of hot flashes. Exercise can be yoga, aerobic or any activity that involves the whole body.
- Try to avoid triggers such as caffeine, smoking, drugs intake or spicy foods etc.
- Detoxification of the body from toxins is very important. So, cleanse your body by taking detox water to balance organs and hormone levels. This will improve your overall health as well.
When you feel hot flashes coming on or know you’re in a situation where they could happen, pull out your wrap from the freezer and pop it into your Infinite Relief Scarf for wearing during these moments.